31 January 2008

A Victim of Domestic Violence





I'm a survior of Domestic Violence.

My last LTR [Long Term Relationship] was good and bad. He and I owned our own business. We traveled around the SE USA. We took trips to Mexico and Costa Rica for business and pleasure. We'd stay for a month or two at each place we lived. We sold Bromeliads and ended up moving down to Florida. We even was able to do Epcot's Flower and Garden Show, Silver Dollar City's Craftsman Fest, Dollywood's Craft Fest, and sold our product to Bush Gardens in Tampa Bay. Was a very exciting life. I loved every minute of it. Our professional relationship was beautiful. We were the greatest team.

At home, things were different. Verbal, spiritual, physical, mental and emotional abuse was frequent by him. One of our disagreements turned more physical than ever - He hit me so hard, I fell down the steps and broke my elbow. Now I'm still carrying that wound. I have limited movement in my right elbow. I can barely move it. It's in a "locked" position. The doctors tried, but no luck.

I still stayed with him after this. I was very afraid. I didn't know where to turn or what to do. 6 years of this. 6 years of his abuse. There are many things that happened during this time. I won't bore you with all the details but I'll tell you I finally got the courage to leave him. I turned to my family for help and support.


The moral of the story is simple. If you are a victim of abuse of any type - please find your inner strength and courage - and make it stop. I know how scary it is to do. Please - females and males - don't allow yourself to be abused in any shape, form or fashion! Find a friend, neighbor, shelter, or family member and PLEASE GET OUT! You are worth so much more!

If you have children - then its more critical to leave - with the kids! The last thing they need is watching one parent abuse another. Sadly, the abusive will usually turn on their own children or step-children. Studies also show that the abusier will abuse any animal that is in the home as well - take them too!

You are loved more than you know. You are braver than you realize. Your life is precious. You hold the keys to power over the abusier.

I am 5 years free of him... 5 years of a new and interesting life. The road is still bumpy and long.... but worth every bit of it!


Love, Peace and Light
Terrah Dawn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

My name is Laine and I operate a website for abused women at www.onewomansvoice.org. I also am a domestic violence survivor and I have a blog at www.onewomansvoice.org/blog. I'd like to do a link exchange with you. If you're interested, please email me at laine@onewomansvoice.org

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My name is Lisa and I too have been a victim of domestic violence. My website: www.streetguardsecurityproducts.com/about.asp. I would also like to link exchange with you. Please email me at sales@streetguardsecurityproducts.com. Thank You.